Helena Community Gardens
August 7, 2018
5:00pm - 8:00pm
About Helena Community Gardens
Helena Community Gardens builds gardens, provides the tools and knowledge to grow food, and increases access to healthy and affordable food.
1. Everyone in Helena is within walking distance of a community garden.
2. All community gardens are accessible to everyone.
3. Everyone in Helena has access to healthy, affordable, fresh foods.
4. People of all ages know how to grow and harvest their own foods – and do!
5. Helena Food Share and their clients benefit from the production grown in our partner gardens.
6. A sense of community and common purpose is achieved; relationships within neighborhoods and gardeners are enhanced.
7. The environment benefits through the open space gardens provide, organic practices, and the reduced fossil fuels necessary to access food.
Project / Needs
As most of our Community gardens have been in use for 6+ years, general wear and tear of the structures and raised beds are causing a need for purchasing new materials. We also have a need to improve accessibility, which requires lumber and soil for constructing raised beds.
Workshops that are put on by HCG are generally free:
• Plant exchange & seed starting demonstration
• Food preservation
• Wise Watering and Drip Irrigation
• Organic Pest & Weed Control
• Family Gardening Day
We do have the St. Paul’s Wednesday Night dinner scheduled for April, and a plan for a fall “Salad Bar” fundraiser in one of the community gardens. HCG raises money from grants, plot fees, and donations.
How will the funds be used
Money raised from BRBC’s Community Monday will be used to improve garden beds, improve growing Food Share donations.